Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday was a much better day for Stella!

Dear Family & Friends,

     Last night Stella had another difficult night. She was coughing almost the whole night. This morning, however, she seemed so much better. The coughing was not so bad and she ate a little bit.
    There were so many good moments today. Seeing Stella with each one of the children is always wonderful to watch. She has a unique bond with each one of them. Dominick & Kathleen have created the most perfect atmosphere here, in their home, for Stella. She is surrounded with love every moment of every day.  
    She received a very special phone call after dinner. Her son plays poker and was recently a contestant on "PokerStars Million Dollar Challenge". He was playing the game to raise money for my sister. He was hoping to raise enough money for more clinical trials.  Although he did not win, we were able to travel together & watch him play in Las Vegas this past July. Stella was able to see her son play in a National Tournament that was aired on television. She was part of the show, sitting in the front row, cheering him on. Her privacy about her illness was out there for everyone to hear about. Tonight, the star of the show, Professional Poker Player, Daniel Negreanu, called my sister to tell her he was thinking about her and talked with her for several minutes. He made my sister grin from ear to ear as he praised her son. It was so special to her.
   Then, a little later on this evening, we were able to connect my house to Dom's house via a web cam. It was so wonderful for my family to see "Aunt Nelly"  and tell her how much they love & miss her. My daughter, Andrea was especially worried when we spoke later. She told me that she didn't realize how much weight Stella had lost. She asked me if I could ask my sister to sing the "I love Aunt Nelly" song to her?  All of the nieces & nephews have heard Stella sing this song to them.  She wanted to remember each line & write it down. Stella sang it to her (as best she could) with her "hoarse" voice. My heart was breaking seeing my daughter cry.
    The Hospice Nurse recommended an albuterol treatment (a breathing treatment) to help her breath easier. Hopefully, tonight will be better for her. It is almost 11PM and she is still sitting up in the chair in the family room.
    **I just returned to my computer. It's now 12:20AM. I had to stop typing earlier because Stella was ready to go to bed. Kathleen & I helped Rich get her settled into bed. I could tell she was exhausted.
    We said our prayers & I made the Sign of the Cross on her forehead, lips & chest again. She held onto her Rosary Beads and I said, (aloud) "God, please help Stella have a good night's rest and please don't let her feel any pain." Then I asked God for a miracle. Stella heard me and she said, "I already have a miracle...you, Rich & Kathleen--are all here with me now."
    Thank you so much for the beautiful messages. I am so deeply touched by the outpouring of support for our family.
Now, I am going to try to get a little sleep.
Love, Grace
PS: It is now 12:53AM. Goodnight to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. John & I watched Joe on TV and we wanted him to win so bad. Stella looked great and I told her that when I saw her in November. I'm so glad you are by her side again. It must be so comforting to her to know you are there. Sisters share such a special bond, that only gets stronger every day. Please give Stella my Love and I just hope the hospice nurses can keep her comfortable.
    ~Donna Raia

    ReplyDelete