Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday morning with Sissy

Good Morning Family & Friends,
Last night Stella told me that it was wonderful to have all of her siblings here together. She began singing an old Italian song in my ear that begins with "Finalmente..." (which translates to "finally".)
We were all sitting around the kitchen table this morning, like we were little kids again. Stella didn't want to eat this morning. Each one of us tried to coax her into eating or drinking.  She gave in & ate a few bites. We reminisced about funny family memories and she added a comment when she felt up to it.
She listened to me read all of her Christmas cards/Get Well cards. She especially loved the Get Well pictures that were sent from the many children that love her. She perked up when I showed her the pictures of family & friends in the cards.
We even laughed about the times I would call her at her job. The woman that would answer the phone had zero personality. It always makes her crack-up when I imitate the woman's voice. Even though Stella is only awake for a few hours each day, we cherish every moment.
Her night wasn't too bad. She woke up a few times and then slept soundly from 4AM-8AM.  The main reason it is difficult to get her to eat or drink is that she had a major blockage in her small intestine due to a progression of the disease. Her most recent surgery (12/29) included a re-routing of her small intestine. The cancer has spread to four of her organs and the pain she has been experiencing for the last few months has been excruciating.
She is the strongest person I know.  For the last 4 1/2 years she has fought her battle so courageously. Stella never loses sight of her Faith. Through everything she endured, she got herself up & went to Church every Sunday morning. We have arranged for a Priest to come here to see her. I know that will be comforting to her & our family. Thank you all so much for the outpouring of love & support.
Love, Grace

6 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and Stella each and every day Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you all in our prayers everyday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Stella! I hope that you are feeling more comfortable today. I'm sorry to hear you had a couple of rough nights. My mom and dad send you love and want you to know they are thinking of you and are with you in spirit. Love you GF! I'm sending love and hugs from Massachusetts on this beautiful sunshiney snowy day. I'm so glad you have your wonderful family around you 'cause I know how happy making that is! xoXOxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to pray for you daily, prayers for joy to replace your pain and prayers for peace to replace any anxiety.

    Stella, keep your eyes focused on Jesus. May our Blessed Mother's mantle surround you during this time. I know Grace and know what a wonderful human being she is, so thankful she is there for you, along with your siblings.

    Grace, I forgot to mention that I posted the prayer request on my blog at the request of several prayer groups. Know that hundred of people, worldwide, are praying for Stella and your family.

    XXXOOO,

    Ohilda

    ReplyDelete