Monday, January 24, 2011

Things are still not good

HI again,
    I am sorry to report that Stella is still having a hard time. She has the feeling that she is "full" all of the time and therefore does not feel like eating. It's directly related to the disease and unfortunately there is nothing that we can do. She is on pain medication and that part seems to be okay. The surgery she had on December 29th was perfomed to re-route her small intestine and put in an "lliostomy" bag. (I apologize if I spelled that wrong). This bag allows for the food to bypass the blockage that she had and and removes the need for the colon to function. (The colon wasn't functioning anymore due to the cancer).
    As I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts, that last surgery was done for palliative purposes only; to make Stella comfortable. Prior to the surgery, her pain was unbearable & she couldn't eat or drink anymore. So, in essence, since her surgery, she has been getting trace amounts of nutrition from the tiny meals she can tolerate. But the problem is that this horrible disease keeps spreading. Every time she eats anything she has a "tummy ache". She is also sleeping a lot more.
    My heart breaks fo her. I am trying so hard to be strong. I am "pretending" my absolute best whenever I need to. I am just trying to take it day by day. Eventhough I have been "mourning" my sister for months, I still cannot imagine not hearing her voice, or the sound of her laughter. I am going to miss so many things about my Sissy.
    My sister-in-law, Tracy (Jimmy's wife) flew to NY to be with her this week. I am grateful that she is there.  Tracy has always been able to cheer everyone up when she walks into a room. My sister told me that she was glad that Tracy was there.
    I am lucky to have such a wonderful family and incredilble friends. Thank you for all of the messages, calls emails, etc. It has been helping me more than you know. I know you are praying for all of us and I appreciate that greatly.

Love you all, Grace

1 comment:

  1. Dear Grace, It is so hard to let go of the ones we love. Our family lost my grandmother this past Friday. Even though she was 99 (!) and we had plenty of time to prepare, the loss still feels great. I also can't imagine a world without Stella, now. just when we found each other after 25 years. I am greatly comforted to know she has such incredible love and support from her family around her, and will never feel without that love through her long ordeal. Love to you and your remarkable family. Julie

    ReplyDelete